Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Accessing your Ubuntu partition from Windows

Virtual Volumes is beta software, but for read-only access to an Ubuntu partition, its everything I need.

I have a relatively recent installation of Ubuntu, and it is brilliant. Its native support of NTFS means I can access all my Windows files from Ubuntu. But going the other way is trickier. Virtual Volumes fills this gap (for my simple requirements).

Virtual Volumes is a desktop app, not a kernel driver. For my purposes, that was a benefit, because it meant I didn't need to reboot after installation, and there is nothing consuming extra system resources when I'm not accessing my Linux partition.

The same guy who created Virtual Volumes also created a very popular tool called explore2fs, but for no apparent reason, it failed to work with my recent Ubuntu installation.

I also tried DiskInternals' Linux-reader which again, is popular and probably works for many Linux distributions, but failed to work with my recent Ubuntu installation.

In short, Virtual Volumes is well worth a try, either as your first choice, or as a backup option if other options fail.

(Thanks to UbuntuGeek.com for pointing me to the DiskInternals Linux-Reader tool.)

P.S. If you want a kernel-mode driver, fs-driver.org looks promising, but I can't vouch for it.

P.P.S. Huge kudos to chrysocome.net! Virtual Volumes is my friend. :o)

No comments: