Monday, January 12, 2009

Convert Adobe Illustrator files to XAML via SVG

There are lots of ways to convert Adobe Illustrator files to XAML, but for my needs, none of them were quite good enough.

The Adobe Illustrator XAML-export-plugin was mucking up some of our line art.

InkScape's built-in XAML support was mucking things up even worse. (I LOVE InkScape, but its XAML support is still not as good as hopefully it will be one day...)

XamlTune was mucking up a few things here and there as well.

Anyhow, I discovered that, for our line art, the main problem with XamlTune was its handling of thick strokes on ellipses. I fixed the XamlTune source code, submitted a patch, and now, voila, XamlTune is converting our line art perfectly! (Or at least, my eye notices no deficiencies.)

Here are the steps I'm taking:

1) Open the Adobe Illustrator file in Adobe Illustrator. (A free 30 day trial is available.)

2) Save a copy as an SVG document. (There are lots of SVG options, but at least for us, the default SVG options work fine.)

3) Use XamlTune to convert from SVG to XAML.

I doubt my patch will be integrated into the main XamlTune source in a hurry, so if you have enough technical nouse, get my patch from the XamlTune CodePlex site and enjoy the benefits. :o)

Your mileage may vary - apparently SVG to XAML conversion is not good at handling gradients, but all our line art is just simple sets of lines, paths and shapes, so that hasn't been a problem for us...

No comments: