Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PLINQO : Data caching for the masses

The single biggest way to improve the speed of a database app is to cache data in memory, cutting-down on round-trips to remote servers.

But caching usually requires tedious hand-coding.

Apparently not-so any more.

I haven't checked it out yet, but CodeSmith claims their new PLINQO technology has built-in data caching mechanisms. That sounds like a very easy way to get substantial speed improvements in one's app!

It works in concert with LINQ to SQL.

In short, it's an entity framework that purportedly makes data caching easy. Exactly how easy? I haven't played with it yet, so I can't comment.

Switching frameworks is obviously a big effort, and I'm reasonably satisfied with the frameworks I'm already using, but this data-caching feature of PLINQO is enough to intrigue me - I think I might check it out.

No comments: